>>But in answering this, I wonder if there are actually two use cases here

Yes, I see the use cases as the design decision points you are forced
to make at varying points in the scale of increasing data volumes:
1) 0-10s of gigabytes:
Slam in the RAM on a single server and all is plain sailing
2) Hundreds of Gigabytes
Too big to hold all in RAM on a single server but not too big to worry
about the cost of replicating the data on disk. Use the suggested
"intelligent cache router" to favour replica servers with a likelihood
of a pre-warmed cache for the given keys. The cost of a cache miss is
not too catastrophic ( a local disk read vs RAM access)
3) Terabytes and above
Too big for RAM, too big to store or replicate in its entirety on each
server. The cost of not finding what you are after in RAM is then
potentially very large - not just a local disk read but due to
sharding potentially a network hop and related issues of the traversal
state must now be exchanged between server processes.

Cheers
Mark