Miklós,

you should actually do both :)

So go for the embedded version to create domain specific service calls for
interacting with your database.

And then expose those as your own REST-endpoints using either a Server-Plugin
or an unmanaged extension.

The current REST server API is too noisy to transfer that many relationships
per node.

How do you currently use the REST server API ? Which calls?
If you don't already do traversals then you should definitely look into them.
(Rather than traversing node relationships one by one).
With the traversal you can already specify javascript code that is executed in
the server context for pruning and filtering.

Do you need concurrent write access? Otherwise the other stores can work in
readonly mode against the database.
And concurrent access from inside the same VM is no problem, you can easily
share the GraphDatabaseService object.

Perhaps you can also tell us a bit about your domain and how it is modelled to
support you there.

Cheers

Michael