How are you accessing indexes when not through batch insertion?

LuceneIndexBatchInserterImpl is the batch insertion class for neo4j-index
(LuceneIndexService and what not).

If you're accessing indexes through graphDb.index().forNodes(...) etc then
you'd want to use LuceneBatchInserterIndexProvider/LuceneBatchInserterIndex
found in neo4j-lucene-index, and neo4j-index won't be needed (it's
deprecated btw).

http://wiki.neo4j.org/content/Index_Framework