Agreed, Rick. My opinion is the main reason to role your own index is to
make use of domain specific optimizations not available with generic
indices. In my case the main win is the combination of statistics result and
index that is possible.

But I have to confess, the real reason I started using graphs as indexes was
just that I thought the graph concept so cool, I did not want to pollute it
with something non-graphy. Foolish ideology, I know, and I grew out of that
more than a year ago, but it did influence many of my early neo4j decisions
:-)