We seem to be encountering a lot of issues when attempting to do lots of
reads/writes/deletes of nodes in a "collection" scenario, where the members of
the collection (each a node w/properties) are linked to their collection (also
a node) via a relationship.  This creates a hot spot and concurrency issue
apparently, which has led to some unpredictable performance.  In this specific
use case, the relationship is only meaningful in one direction, so I am
considering creating a property on the members of type long, which corresponds
to the node id of the collection node.  This would seem to work, and would
likely avoid the issues we're encountering, but it makes me feel a bit "dirty"
to do so in a graph database.

Any other suggestions?  Any other workarounds for the issues with frequent
updates to a node and its relationships?

Many thanks,

Rick