The shortest path is calculated by means of traversals. During traversal,
visited nodes are read into the cache (unless those nodes are already in the
cache). It is not necessarily so that the entire graph needs to be traversed to
calculate the shortest path. If a path is found, other traversals don't have to
continue once their path length is larger than the path already found. The
larger the path between the nodes, the more completely the graph will be
traversed.