Thanks Michael, that is good to know...
 I would've tried that right now, for tests, but unfortunately I get that
silly error "No index provider 'lucene' found", but only when using
EmbeddedReadOnlyGraphDatabase, not EmbeddedGraphDatabase. Perhaps it would
be worth mentioning that in order to not get the error for
EmbeddedGraphDatabase, I had to add the folder
".\lucene-index\src\main\resources\" to classpath, since I am not using any
.jars, instead I'm using the source files directly from github (in eclipse)

regarding my topic, I am reading this currently:
http://wiki.neo4j.org/content/Using_the_Neo4j_Server_with_Java
but it seems a bit messy, so I will probably limit myself to using embedded
database for now :)