Interesting that if you look at the github 'blame' for that file (see
https://github.com/neo4j/neo4j-spatial/blame/master/src/main/java/org/neo4j/gis/spatial/SpatialTopologyUtils.java),
you find that all the findClosestEdges methods where added in October 2010.
So if Nolan has a version older than that, then something weird is going on.
He must have the very first version from September 2010, which is not
compatible with any recent Neo4, Geotools or uDig.

When I look at m2.neo4j.org I can see that the latest 0.6-SNAPSHOT is from
May. So we do have a problem, but not one that takes us back to last
September.

Nolan, perhaps your pom.xml refers to an older neo4j-spatial? You should use
0.6-SNAPSHOT. And we will change that again soon (to 0.7) since we are
making changes to the geoprocessing and indexing.