Hi Jon,
I just tested the Geo plugin to gephi with Neo4j. If you import the
GraphML file from http://forum.gephi.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=224 (link
http://forum.gephi.org/download/file.php?id=44&sid=5a6f2a99d5706d3a80f272298b36a46e)
directly into Gephi, it works. Even if you import that file into
Neo4j, it works too. (e.g. via the Neo4j Web Gremlin console, doing

g.loadGraphML('/Users/peterneubauer/Downloads/airlines.graphml')

Note that ALL nodes in both cases have the lat-lon attributes.

If you however have a real neo4j dataset, only part of the nodes have
the required attributes, there are a lot of Neo4j nodes that don't
have spatial attributes. I think that breaks the layout algorithm that
expect every node to have spatial attributes. I am not sure how to fix
that, maybe you could ask in the forum there and get back with your
findings?

HTH

Cheers,

/peter neubauer