James,
yes absolutely. IMHO the best forum to initially float new ideas is the
mailing lists since they are most open for discussion and seen by a bigger
community. After things get a bit more concrete, I would capture the
enhancement idea as clearly as possible on GIThub as an issue, so the
coding-related folks can relate to it. Also, a reference to the created
issue then can take the high-level discussion from the list to the concrete
thread on GIThub, thus keeping the list threads to a reasonable level.

WDYT?

Cheers,

/peter neubauer

GTalk:      neubauer.peter