On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 2:57 PM, jschweigl <johann.schwe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Downloaded 1.5-SNAPSHOT (two times: the windows community and enterprise
> flavor). No change, no matter if the relation points back or forth.

 I just realized what the problem is. (It's my fault)

You are putting the path between callee to caller into a path. But, you are
only selecting subgraphs where caller will be <NULL>. A path can't contain
null for nodes, and that is the exception you are seeing.

Cypher should cater for this much better than throwing an exception. Sorry
about that!

For  your use case, returning the callee should be enough, right?

Like this:

START callee=node:node_auto_index('type:*Service')
MATCH (caller)-[r?:CALLS]->(callee)
WHERE r IS NULL
RETURN callee

HTH,