Hi Andres,

worries is the wrong term. I think a query language has its use case and
its absolutely necessary for Neo4j. It maps common use cases to a powerful
language.

But using it programmatically is something different. Thats what I mean
with abstraction (in the sense of software development). It is a different
language, with a different semantic used in a compiled language (Java or
Scala); and this is not a natural fit.

Do I have something in mind: No - no concrete examples.
But obviously the traverser api with return and stop evaluators is too
generic (together with the lack of common result list operations, like
sort, filter etc).

In case of Scala it should be possible (using the powerful collection api)
to create a DSL for complex queries and aggregation of results (that is
able to support multi core processing as well, which is a important feature
imho).

I will try to invest some time. Maybe I can get to an example...

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Andres Taylor <
andres.tay...@neotechnology.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Christopher Schmidt <
> fakod...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Cypher has some
> > similarities to SQL as a special query language. And to be honest, I
> think
> > using it programmatically will cause the same symtoms as SQL with respect
> > to runtime errors, type safety, abstraction etc.
> >

> I understand your worries about runtime errors and type safety. I'd love to
> know what you mean by "abstraction etc". Do you have any concrete examples
> in mind?
>
> Andrés

Christopher
twitter: @fakod