Gregory,
incremental loads (and thus, restarts of OSM imports) are a feature we
want to add later on, but it's not in there yet. This would also mean
we could stitch in other areas on demand, and support submitting
changesets back to OSM or at least capture them, so you as an OSM
based app can contribute to OSM automagically.

I know it's much to ask, but help here would be greatly appreciated. I
hope to lab with Michael Hunger on import of data into OSM (and
others) this Friday and hope to get somewhere :)

Cheers,

/peter neubauer

GTalk:      neubauer.peter
Skype       peter.neubauer