Daniel,
you need to make sure to load the spatial index first witha  custom
config, otherwise lucene is the default index provider and will
"shadow" the lazily created and loaded index. See

https://github.com/neo4j/spatial/blob/master/features/start-and-stop.feature#L16
for the example. Start with a new db, I guess the current wrong Lucene
index "spatial" is saved over sessions.

Does that work better?

/peter