On 01/12/2011, at 4:32 PM, yobi wrote:

> What are the advantages of using HTTP directly over native SDK like the Java
> one?
You have to understand that "native" runs as as part of the same process. And
that's why it's supposed to be faster.
Running as part of the app means that you lock the database to one single app
(you can't just go and fix production data).

With REST, you have a separate server. Thus multiple applications can use. Or
you can access it directly through normal web browser to fix your data.
Or even run background jobs against that server. All that is not possible with
native.

> Don't they have a native SDK for Python and Ruby as well (although I think
> they are just wrappers for tje HTTP API?)
No. Saying "native" it means that it is native to Java only.
So as long as you are on JVM, you can use the native SDK.

There are versions of Ruby (JRuby) and Python (Jypthon) that are built
specifically to target JVM. And that's why you can use it.
But if you want to use "normal" Ruby or Python, your only option is REST.

Same applies to your case with Nodejs.