Actually I get the same error even when I do something dead simple like
below.  I ran the same commands in sparkR directly and it worked.  Is livy
just does not work with sparkR this is with 2.3.1? It is a bit concerning
that nothing really works via livy while works dierctly via sparkR would
point to a livy issue?

%sparkr
df <- createDataFrame(sqlContext, faithful)
head(df)