I agree, but how is "pre-adding a cached value for X" different than
"requesting X from the cache"? Either way you get X in the cache.
Computing offline seems the same as computing on-line, but in some
kind of warm-up state or phase. Which can be concurrent with serving
early requests even. You can do everything else you say without a new
operation, like selectively pre-caching certain entries.