I should say that it depends of course on what you are implementing.
You can also write an algorithm to factor R, not P. If you're doing
that, then I would not expect values to be so low. But I thought you
were following the version where you factor P = R != 0.

Multiplying by 3 and adding 1 would not do what you want, no.