It is true that a process based on user-user similarity only won't be
able to recommend item 4 in this example. This is a drawback of the
algorithm and not something that can be worked around. You could try
not to choose this item in the test set, but then that does not quite
reflect reality in the test.

If you just mean that compressing the range of pref values improves
RMSE in absolute terms, yes it does of course. But not in relative
terms. There is nothing inherently better or worse about a small range
in this example.

RMSE is a fine eval metric, but you can also considered mean average precision.

Sean