Thanks for the answers, actually I worked on a similar issue,
increasing the diversity of top-N lists
(http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10844-013-0252-9).
Clustering-based approaches produce good results and they are very
fast compared to some optimization based techniques. Also it turned
out that introducing randomization (such as choosing random 20 items
among the top 100 items) might decrease diversity if the diversity of
the top-N lists is better than the diversity of a set of random items,
which might sometimes be the case.