have you verified that all the slaves are running tasks?  sometimes only a
few slaves on a cluster willl pick up a task because of other limitations.
Also some algorithms in mahout arent distribnuted.
also obviously you will want to make sure that your running the distributed
implementations of these algorithms -

--
Jay Vyas
http://jayunit100.blogspot.com