On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 3:02 AM, Marko Dinic <marko.di...@nissatech.com>
wrote:

> For example, mean of two sinusoids while one of them is shifted by Pi is
> 0. And that's definitely not a good centroid in my case.

Well, if you think that phase shifts represent small distance proportional
to phase difference then the mean of two shifted vectors is the one that
has intermediate phase.  If you normalize away magnitude then you are just
doing distances on a circle.

The definition of the mean is the thing that minimizes squared distances to
every point being averaged.  You have to have a compatible mean definition
to go with your distance definition.

Depending on how much you are warping your signals, I would tend to look to
an auto-encoder representation rather than clustering to get your
similarity.  The auto-encoder internal layer values are often fixed with
and often have good local properties for averaging and squared differences.