There are a few problems that you have.

1) user-based recommendation is often slower than item-based (sometimes
MUCH slower).  This can make a 2-10x difference in practice

2) pre-computing recommendations is usually much less efficient than
computing them on the fly (because typically few users will require their
recommendations before you recompute them).  This can make 1000x difference
in practice.

3) pre-computing recommendations is almost always less accurate than
computing them on the fly because you don't have all of the recent user
history when you pre-compute the recommendations.

4) pre-computing recommendations is also a problem if you have new users
since the last bulk computation.  If you are using item-based cooccurrence
recommendation, however, you can still compute recommendations for these
new users almost as soon as they have done anything on the site.

If you just run itemsimilarity and store the results in a search index in
order to provide real-time results, I think that you are likely to be much
more happy.