Mahout in Action is out of date and the code mentioned is being deprecated.
Many of the examples don’t run anymore.

These days we run on more modern compute platforms like Spark. For the latest
Mahout Recommender you can start with the Command Line Interface to
spark-itemsimilarity and integrated it with Solr or Eleasticsearch. Or you can
pickup a fully integrated end-to-end solution linked below;
Building a recommender with Mahout:
http://mahout.apache.org/users/algorithms/recommender-overview.html
<http://mahout.apache.org/users/algorithms/recommender-overview.html>
Mahout spark-itemsimilarity:
http://mahout.apache.org/users/recommender/intro-cooccurrence-spark.html
<http://mahout.apache.org/users/recommender/intro-cooccurrence-spark.html>
Universal Recommender from ActionML:
https://github.com/actionml/template-scala-parallel-universal-recommendation
<https://github.com/actionml/template-scala-parallel-universal-recommendation>
The UR is built on PredictionIO ML Framework here:
https://github.com/actionml/PredictionIO