Hi,

I am in the same spot as Isabel.
Used to use/understand most of the «old» standalone mahout, now doing some
data transformation with spark, but I am not sure where Samsara fits in the
ecosystem.
We also do quite a bit of computation in R.
Basically we are willing to learn and support the project by for instance
buying the books Rob mentioned, but a short doc with the outline Isabel
describes would be great!

Many thanks,

Florent

Le 31 janv. 2017 12:01, "Isabel Drost-Fromm" <isa...@apache.org> a écrit :

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 11:36:03PM -0700, Andrew Musselman wrote:
> and we're thinking about just how many pre-built algorithms we
> should include in the library versus working on performance behind the
> scenes.

To pick this question up: I've been watching Mahout from a distance for
quite
some time. So from what limited background I have of Samsara I really like
it's
approach to be able to run on more than one execution engine.

To give some advise to downstream users in the field - what would be your
advise
for people tasked with concrete use cases (stuff like fraud detection,
anomaly
detection, learning search ranking functions, building a recommender
system)? Is
that something that can still be done with Mahout? What would it take to get
from raw data to finished system? Is there something we can do to help
users get
that accomplished? Is there even interest from users in such a use case
based
perspective? If so, would there be interest among the Mahout committers to
help
users publicly create docs/examples/modules to support these use cases?

Isabel