Since merges are done by committers, it’s easy to retarget a contributor’s PRs
but committers would PR against develop, and some projects like PredictionIO
make develop the default branch on github so it's the one contributors get by
default.

In fact this is the primary difference, Master is left stable and ignored until
a release or bug fix is needed before the next release.

We already have various branches and now that we can clean them up without
involving Infra, the rest of your question is resolved by the originator of the
change just like today.

I see the key benefits as:
1) as I’ve already over stated, master is stable
2) we have a documented process that is IMO a “best practice”. Even if we stick
with the process of today we need to document it as release artifacts and
branches proliferate.