On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Bernerd Schaefer
<bern...@soundcloud.com>wrote:

> Thanks for the response, Bill. Some followups below.
>

>> I haven't found a great way to approach either of these in mesos without
>>> assuming that your framework has full control of the cluster.  This is
>>> covered a bit in the Omega paper [1]:
>>>

>> *While a Mesos framework can use “filters” to describe **the kinds of
>> resources that it would like to be offered, it does **not have access to
>> a view of the overall cluster state – just the **resources it has been
>> offered. As a result, it cannot support **preemption or policies
>> requiring access to the whole cluster **state: a framework simply does
>> not have any knowledge **of resources that have been allocated to other
>> schedulers.*
>>

> I'm curious about your take as a framework author on the Omega paper's
> evaluation of Mesos. I would summarize their valuation somewhere between --
> best-case -- "Mesos is currently non-optimal for running a service
> scheduler alongside other schedulers," and -- worst-case -- "Mesos is
> fundamentally unsuitable for service schedulers which do not own the entire
> cluster."

You're right, their interpretation is not very optimistic.  However, as i
understand it — reservations does help the situation such that we can do
better than described in the paper.  I think documentation on reservations
would be really helpful, probably specifically in a way that addresses the
concern raised by the omega paper.  (Apparently i'm not even up to date on
the reservations feature — Ben tells me this works today.)

> The risk with this approach is that you wind up not playing nicely with
>> other frameworks, possibly starving them of offers.  Unfortunately this is
>> the best way i've found to glean the shape of the cluster.
>>

>> Aurora cheats here by 'pinning' tasks to the same machines all the time,
>> and (currently) not running anything else on those machines.  Of course,
>> this strategy falls apart when other frameworks are introduced.  I believe
>> mesos' reservations feature intends to address this.
>>

> Given these comments -- am I to gather that Aurora runs on its own
> dedicated Mesos cluster? Regardless, it sounds like you've had to make
> Aurora itself a monolithic scheduler, which is discouraging.

That is correct today, but a result of due diligence (read: paranoia) on my
part more-so than technical limitations.  We run a lot of critical stuff on
Aurora, and haven't had the time to test interplay between multiple
frameworks well enough to be comfortable with the idea.  To be clear,
though — aurora alongside other frameworks is indeed the direction we
intend to go.