> We have been running a bunch of long-running services and a few cron jobs
> on our 6 node (c1.xlarge) cluster. We added a large number of additional
> cron jobs on the 20th, which maxed out our available resources. I added 3
> more slaves and things seemed to be happy. Since the original 6 slaves were
> mostly allocated to the long-running services, the 3 new slaves ended up
> handling most of the cron tasks. Not sure what your definition of a very
> high rate is, but the new jobs were starting 20 new tasks/min max.
>
> Does each task gets its own executor? Also, are these cron jobs long
lived? What is their lifetime? In other words, in steady state, how many
cron jobs (or more precisely mesos executors) are alive? Note that GC only
affects terminated executors. Also what is the typical size of an executor
sandbox?

> The disk space errors happened to the three new slaves all within a few
> hours of each other early the next morning. Grepping the slave logs as you
> suggested showed that during the last 24 hours, each slave's disk usage
> steadily increased 1% every ~10 minutes until it hit ~76% disk usage. The
> disk space error occurs when starting a new task right after (10-20 sec)
> the last Current usage report.
>
> The growing disk usage makes sense because most of the cron tasks had a
> large slug, and we were being lazy about cleaning up (under the assumption
> that the GC would do it for us), but all three slaves erroring out at 76%
> disk usage (on a 1.7TB mount) seems a little suspect.

Based on the 1%/minute rate it is indeed surprising that you get disk space
full errors at 76%. Slave calls fs::usage which in turn calls statvfs to
calculate disk utilization (see stout/fs.hpp). IIRC, statvfs uses cached
filesystem information to calculate the disk usage, but given 1%/minute the
rate you mentioned I would be surprised if statvfs shows 76% when the
actual disk utilization is close to 100%.

Is there something else on the filesystem besides the slave work directory?