Sorry for the tardy reply. Spark seems to be holding on to those resources
then - are you running Spark in coarse grained mode?
I am not too Spark savvy, but running in fine grained mode should allocate
and free resources on-demand rather than allocating a temporary static
partition up front.
Maybe Tim Chen can chime in here.

Niklas