Mesos inside docker definitely can work. There are some issues with the
slave in some cases (You can't have any containers which start with
'mesos-' on the slave, don't put two slaves on the same host.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-2016 is one of the issues which
you'll likely run into.

If slave recovery is important (Being able to upgrade the mesos-slave
binary without killing all the running tasks), then be sure to test that.
It's really easy for it not to work when inside docker. There are a number
of flags you need to pass to docker to make everything work right
(privileged, net=host, volume mount a couple directories so they persist
docker container restart among others).