The value of coreos that immediately comes to mind since I do much work with
these tools:

 - the small foot print, it is a minimal os, meant to run containers. So it
throws everything not needed for that out.
 - containers are the launch vehicle, thus deps are in container land. I can
run and test containers with ease, not having to worry about multiple OSes.
 - with etcd and fleet, coordinating the launch and modification of both
machines and cluster make it a breeze. Allowing you to do dynamic mesos scaling
up or down. I add nodes at will, across multiple cloud platforms, ready to
launch multitude of containers or just mesos.
 - security. There is a defined write strategy. You cannot write willy nilly to
any location.
 - all the above further allow auto OS updates, which is supported today on all
platforms that deploy coreos. This means more frequent updates since the os is
minimal, which should increase the security effectiveness when compared to big
box superstore OSes like Redhat or Ubuntu. Some platforms charge quite a bit
for managed updates of this frequency and level of testing.

Coreos allows me to keep apps in a configured container that I trust, tested,
and works time and time again.

I see coreos as a compliment.

As a fyi I'm available for questions, debugging, and client work in this area.

Hope this helps some, from real world usage.

Sent from my iPad