> we use the HAProxy configurator script bundled with marathon to bind
> applications to ports :
>
> https://github.com/mesosphere/marathon/blob/master/bin/
> haproxy-marathon-bridge
>

> Given the foregoing, can mesos-dns + mesos (possibly, mesosphere’s
>> marathon) + docker be configured to emulate Kubernetes’ style of service
>> discovery, i.e., no responsibility for DNS resolution in an application
>> consuming other services via TCP?

Thanks Craig. I will try that approach, which I see documented here:
mesosphere.com/docs/getting-started/service-discovery.

In light of your response, and direction to an approach that predates
mesos-dns, it will need to consider what, if any, part mesos-dns has for my
goal.

Directly, it was
progrium.com/blog/2014/09/10/automatic-docker-service-announcement-with-registrator
and
philzim.com/2014/11/12/service-discovery-orchestration-with-mesos-and-consul
that set my expectation that consul could now be replaced with mesos-dns in
mesos/marathon clusters.