Getting closer. After finding
http://garyzhu.net/notes/CentOS7-Systemd-Mesos-Marathon.html, I set up another
new CentOS 7 machine, got a lot further on the compile this time, symbols too!
This is with 0.22.1-RC6, CentOS Linux release 7.1.1503, kernel
3.10.0-229.1.2.el7.x86_64.

Output from the last test during a "make check".

> [----------] 1 test from PerfEventIsolatorTest
> [ RUN      ] PerfEventIsolatorTest.ROOT_CGROUPS_Sample
> F0430 14:03:34.169455 13504 isolator_tests.cpp:710] CHECK_SOME(isolator):
> Failed to create PerfEvent isolator, invalid events: { cycles, task-clock }
> *** Check failure stack trace: ***
>     @     0x7f4c7ecea4ca  google::LogMessage::Fail()
>     @     0x7f4c7ecea429  google::LogMessage::SendToLog()
>     @     0x7f4c7ece9e3a  google::LogMessage::Flush()
>     @     0x7f4c7ececb6e  google::LogMessageFatal::~LogMessageFatal()
>     @           0xa265b2  _CheckFatal::~_CheckFatal()
>     @           0xc93e88
> mesos::internal::tests::PerfEventIsolatorTest_ROOT_CGROUPS_Sample_Test::TestBody()
>     @          0x1135c4f
> testing::internal::HandleSehExceptionsInMethodIfSupported<>()
>     @          0x1130e0a
> testing::internal::HandleExceptionsInMethodIfSupported<>()
>     @          0x1119233  testing::Test::Run()
>     @          0x1119956  testing::TestInfo::Run()
>     @          0x1119ede  testing::TestCase::Run()
>     @          0x111ec5a  testing::internal::UnitTestImpl::RunAllTests()
>     @          0x1136ac1
> testing::internal::HandleSehExceptionsInMethodIfSupported<>()
>     @          0x1131afb
> testing::internal::HandleExceptionsInMethodIfSupported<>()
>     @          0x111db0a  testing::UnitTest::Run()
>     @           0xd28155  main
>     @     0x7f4c7a741af5  __libc_start_main
>     @           0x8fae89  (unknown)

Full results and machine configuration at
https://gist.github.com/briantopping/ac4f320bcc24e14328cd
<https://gist.github.com/briantopping/ac4f320bcc24e14328cd>.

Not sure where to go with this, any insight appreciated!