On Jun 8, 2015, at 1:12 AM, Aaron Carey <aca...@ilm.com> wrote:

> I've been following this thread with interest, it draws a lot of parallels
> with similar problems my wife faces as a teacher (and I imagine this happens
> in other government/public sector organisations, earlier in this thread James
> pointed me to an interested Wikipedia article which suggested this also
> happens occasionally in software: eg County of Los Angeles in 2003). Every
> few years teachers are told to change the words used to describe various
> things related to kids with minority backgrounds, from underprivileged
> families or with disabilities and so on, usually to stop other children from
> using them as derogatory terms or insults. It works for a while and then the
> pupils catch on and start using the new words and the cycle repeats.
>
> I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that if you do decide to change
> the naming of master/slave because some naughty programmers in the community
> have been using the terms offensively, you better make damn sure you choose
> new terms which aren't likely to cause offence in the future and require the
> whole renaming process to run again. Which is why I'm voting for:
>
> +1 Gru/Minion

Which then is great right up until Universal Pictures sues the Apache
foundation to get "Gru" changed.  Plus "master/slave" is immediately obvious to
anyone working in software.  I had to search the web to even figure out what
"Gru" was, and then it was not even the first result... (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Intelligence_Directorate_%28Russia%29 )

> There could also be another option: These terms are all being used to
> describe a master/slave relationship, the mesos master is in charge, it
> assigns work to the slaves and ensures that they carry it out. I'd suggest
> that whatever you call this pair, the relationship will always be one of
> domination and servitude. Perhaps what is really needed here is to get rid of
> the concept of a master altogether and re-architect mesos so all nodes in the
> cluster are equal and reach a consensus together about work distribution and
> so on?

I propose all processes, regardless of function, should be "mesos-comrade" to
ensure none of them feel slighted :)