Hi Tommy,

not sure what your use-case is, but you are correct, the master/slave nodes
need to have bi-directional connectivity.
However, there is no fundamental reason why those have to be "public IPs" -
so long as they are routable (either via DNS discovery and / or VPN or
other network-layer mechanisms) that will work.
(I mean, without even thinking too hard about this - so I may be entirely
wrong here - you could place a couple of Nginx/HAproxy nodes with two NICs,
one visible to the Slaves, the other in the VPC subnet, and forward all
traffic? I'm sure I'm missing something here :)

When you launch the master nodes, you specify the NICs they need to listen
to via the --ip option, while the slave nodes have the --master flag that
should have either a hostname:port of ip:port argument: so long as they are
routable, this *should* work (although, admittedly, I've never tried this
personally).

One concern I would have in such an arrangement though, would be about
network partitioning: if the DC/DC connectivity were to drop, you'd
suddenly lose all master/slave connectivity; it's also not clear to me that
having sectioned the Masters from the Slaves would give you better
availability and/or reliability and/or security?
It would be great to understand the use-case, so we could see what could be
added (if anything) to Mesos going forward.

*Marco Massenzio*
*Distributed Systems Engineer*