I have 3 CoreOS nodes running in vagrant. Mesos is run natively (not in docker containers).

There is 1 master/slave and 2 slaves.

If I ssh into one of my slaves and run free -m, I see:

Total: 2005
Used 1342
Free 662
Shares 273
Buffers 13
Cached 1210

In the mesos web-ui, I see that the slave  has 1002 MB of memory to offer.

How is this 1002 MB determined (I am running the masters and slaves with stock defaults and no customizations)?

Is the 1002MB included in the used memory (1342)? If so, why is the 662MB free? It seems to be a waste and I am sure it should be able to offer another 500MB making the total 1502MB.