I am building mesos 0.24.0 with the goal to compress the binaries into an archive and distribute them onto other machines to run.

Mesos is configured with the following options and then compiled:

./configure CC=gcc-4.8 CXX=g++-4.8 LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/tmp/mesos-build/sasl2/lib SASL_PATH=/tmp/mesos-build/sasl2/lib/sasl2 --prefix=/tmp/mesos-build/mesos --with-svn=/tmp/mesos-build/svn --with-apr=/tmp/mesos-build/apr --with-sasl=/tmp/mesos-build/sasl2/ --with-curl=/tmp/mesos-build/curl

I then compressed the whole archive and deployed them on to my machines.

Mesos master is launched with the following config:

MESOS_LOG_DIR=/var/log/mesos
MESOS_WORK_DIR=/var/lib/mesos/master
MESOS_CLUSTER=mesos
MESOS_ROLES=mesos_master
MESOS_WEBUI_DIR=/opt/airglow/packages/mesos/share/mesos/webui
MESOS_ZK=zk://192.168.33.10/mesos
MESOS_QUORUM=1
MESOS_HOSTNAME=192.168.33.10
MESOS_IP=192.168.33.10

The slave is started with the following config:
MESOS_LOG_DIR=/var/log/mesos
MESOS_CONTAINERIZERS=docker,mesos
MESOS_EXECUTOR_REGISTRATION_TIMEOUT=60mins
MESOS _HOSTNAME=192.168.33.11
MESOS_IP=192.168.33.11
MESOS_MASTER=zk://192.168.33.10/mesos
MESOS_EXECUTOR_ENVIRONMENT_VARIABLES={"LD_LIBRARY_PATH": "/path/to/mesos/lib"}

On all machines I have the following environment variables:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/mesos/lib
JAVA_HOME is also set up correctly

I then attempted to run mesos-hdfs from the master. The scheduler launches properly.

However, when the scheduler tries to launch a task (such as a journal node), it fails and I can see this in the stderr of the sandbox:

mesos-containerizer: error while loading shared libraries: libmesos-0.24.0.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

What causes this problem and how can I resolve it?