In retrospect I should've (might still be able to one of these days) open
sourced the tool we used to migrate mesos masters. That said, overall the
process suggested so far is correct.

To validate the new host joining, you can tail the master log file for
"Successfully
joined the Paxos group
<https://github.com/apache/mesos/blob/3539b7a0e15b594148308319bf052d28b1429b98/src/log/recover.cpp#L578>"
to confirm the replicated log recovery has completed for that machine. Once
that happens, feel free to move onto adding the next host.