Moving stateless services can be trivial or a non problem, as others have
suggested.
Migrating state full services becomes a function of migrating the state,
including any network conx, etc. To think aloud, from a bit of past
considerations in hpc like systems, some systems relied upon the underlying
systems to support migration (vMotion, etc.), to 3rd party libraries (was
that Meiosys) that could work on existing application binaries, to
libraries (BLCR
<http://crd.lbl.gov/departments/computer-science/CLaSS/research/BLCR/>)
that need support from application developer. I was involved with providing
support for BLCR based applications. One of the challenges was the time to
checkpoint an application with large memory footprint, say, 100 GB or more,
which isn't uncommon in hpc. Incremental checkpointing wasn't an option, at
least at that point.
Regardless, Mesos' support for checkpoint-restore would have to consider
the type of checkpoint-restore being used. I would imagine that the core
part of the solution would be simple'ish, in providing a "workflow" for the
checkpoint-restore system (sort of send signal to start checkpoint, wait
certain time to complete or timeout). Relatively less simple would be the
actual integration of the checkpoint-restore system and dealing with its
constraints and idiosyncrasies.