Docker does use bridged networking by default, but it uses linux bridges to
perform the bridging, there is no docker-proxy process. The problem with
docker bridge network is that the address space of the container spawned on
the docker bridge are different than the host network, so you need to
perform DNAT to get to any docker container on that bridge. The performance
hit is because of the DNAT. If you want container to container
communication on a single docker bridge, or if you configure the address
space of the docker bridge to be that of the host network (which in most
cases is not possible) you can get close to line speed performance.

Docker host networking is effectively attaching containers to the linux
host network namespace. So the performance results will be the same as that
of running a process natively on the host.