You can do it either way actually.  The default case is for it to bring up
a fresh instance of MySQL, since the sandbox the application starts in is
clean.  Mesosphere had a recent blog post about using persistent storage in
Marathon (
https://mesosphere.com/blog/2016/05/04/emc-external-storage-stateful-services/)
that showcases how you could bring up a new instance with the same data
present, even if its on a different node.