Kant,

we would love to walk new community members through the code! We understand
how important it is to have a more experienced member of the community to
help out with patches, hence we have "shepherds". Moreover, though
technically possible, is not advised to start working without having
agreement with your shepherd.

Joseph Wu is driving the effort, get in touch with him and I'm sure you'll
figure out the plan!