Dear framework owners and users,

We are working on upgrading the protobuf library in Mesos to 3.2.0 in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-7228, to overcome some protobuf
limitation on message size as well as preparing for further improvement. We
aim to release this with the upcoming Mesos 1.3.0.

Because we upgraded the protoc compiler in this process, all generated java
and python code may not be compatible with protobuf 2.6.1 (the previous
dependency), and we ask you to upgrade the protobuf dependency to 3.2.0
when you upgrade your framework dependency to 1.3.0.

For java, a snapshot maven artifact has been prepared (by Anand Mazumdar's
courtesy) at
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/mesos/mesos/1.3.0-SNAPSHOT/
. Please feel free to play out with it and let us know if you run into any
issues.

Note that the binary upgrade process should still be compatible: any java
or based framework (scheduler or executor) should still work out of box
with Mesos 1.3.0 once released. It is suggested to get your cluster
upgraded to 1.3.0 first, then come back and upgrade your executors and
schedulers.

We understand this may expose inconvenience around updating the protobuf
dependency, so please let us know if you have any concern or further
questions.

--

Cheers,

Zhitao Li and Anand Mazumdar,