I think the key issues have been brought up by Benjamin and Renan.

Just to add to Benjamin's comments above, achieving those key markers of
a healthy project requires serious corporate backing such that people are
being
employed to primarily work on Mesos. It takes a lot of work to keep the
project
running along and if people are doing that on the side or as a hobby it is
going
to be unsustainable.

In the initial phase of the project, there was a team dedicated to Mesos at
Twitter,
which is how the system was productionized and core features were developed.
The second phase of the project, in which Twitter was largely absent, was
driven
by Mesosphere (now called D2iQ) along with a few people making sporadic
contributions. With the shift in D2iQs priorities away from Mesos, the
project is
now without corporate backing.

Ultimately, I think with a project like Mesos those corporate backers tend
to be
vendors rather than users, because vendors can justify the investment as a
core
part of their business whereas users cannot. The vendors in this space have
consolidated around kubernetes.

An alternative model to vendor driven development would be to have a
foundation that allows users to fund development in the project, but this
model
requires donations which seems prone to persistent underfunding. (Reading
the wikipedia sections on freebsd and openbsd funding shows examples of
these alternative models).

So I see two options related to how the project is backed:

- Vendor and user companies are employing engineers to work on Mesos
because either they have products based on Mesos, or use it heavily.

- Users / Companies / Other bodies donate to a foundation which houses the
project and drives the development using these donations / resources.

The current model of Apache + maybe some folks stepping up to help I
don't think will work.