Hi all,

I noticed that our public facing docs were really getting stale.  This is a
normal thing in a fast moving project, but I imagine it's really hard for
the community to get engaged with a project that has such details caught up
inside of code and unit tests.  As such, I thought it is reasonable to
spend a little time ensuring the docs are better organized and clear, so I
spent the day focusing on that:

   1. they were nonexistent in a lot of places like model as a service
   which are new
   2. they were stale (mostly around stellar functions)
   3. they were incomplete (parsers take configs, we don't document
   that..we now do)
   4. they were not clear. I added some clarification and pictures of the
   topologies
   5. they were in the wrong place (e.g. enrichment config documentation
   was in metron-common instead of metron-enrichment)
   6. there wasn't a starting place from the top level Readme into the
   scary subdepths of the individual projects

I also gave a small fully worked example for some of the commonly confusing
tasks, like doing a stellar enrichment or deploying a MaaS model.  I wrote
them up, but they were caught up inside of PR comments, this just brought
them into the docs.

You can find the PR here
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/pull/260>. It's already gotten
a +1, but I'd love to see some discussion around what ELSE we can do to
make it easier to get community contributions.  After all, there would be
no Metron without its community.

Best,

Casey

Reply via email to