Dimitris,
Good to know you are using ODE.

1) If the invoke fails, it will be registered with activity recovery and
can be retried manually. Or if you want automatic retries, follow Stan's
instructions on activity recovery and failure.
Would you kindly explain the scenario that resulted in making changes to
the code?

You haven't clarified which version of ODE are you on. ODE 1.3.7 uses a new
console which actually uses the PMAPI webservice (pmapi.wsdl) to retrieve
all the information.
2) What do you mean by custom variable?

Just a clarification, ODE doesn't do any data cleanup until its explicitly
configured in deployment descriptor.

regards,
sathwik