Hi,
partyId - P.K of Party entity.
Party entity is used to represent a party (may be of any type (PERSON or
PARTY_GROUP) and role(CUSTOMER, BUYER, SELLER)).
We can say that partyId is used to uniquely identify a party (it may be
customer or any other party in the business).

contactMechId - P.K of ContactMech entity.
ContactMech entity is used to represent a contact mechanism (which may be of
any type say TelecomNumber, EmailAddress, PostalAddress, WebAddress),we can
say this entity is the container entity of all contact mechanism. That is
why the ContactMech is also associated to TelecomNumber entity as well
PostalAddress entity. Now all contact mechanisms are uniquely identified by
contactMechId which may be EmailAdress or PostalAddress or any other.

Now which contact mechanism is for which party is maintained in the entity
PartyConatactMech intersection entity.
The significance of contactMechId is we can find thru it whether it is
contactMechId of PostalAddress or any other type. Another significance of
using contactMechId is we have a common entity ContactMech which captures
the P.K of all types of contact mechanisms.

HTH !!!

Rishi Solanki
Enterprise Software Developer
HotWax Media Pvt. Ltd.