The best way to extend an entity, is to extend it in your custom component
using <extend-entity.../> and if its CRUD services written using the
entity-auto with set pk and non pk fields then they will work without
changes. If not then you need to just override the service definition.
IMO, extending the Project Manager app is better option as it is based on
the WorkEffort and all the basic + special purpose business logic will be
available for your custom application.
Rishi Solanki
Enterprise Software Developer
HotWax Media Pvt. Ltd.