The thread title is confusing for this discussion.

I reformulate my last mail :
Sort from the more important to the less
1) give a process to promote contribution. Contribution should be sent
before quality process review
2) Improve OFBiz Quality, and so accept only contribution with quality
review
2.1) Quality for an ERP should be  for technical and functional at the
same level
2.2) Quality criteria must be clear and well defined
3) be more modular than component level, to be able to measure quality
more easily and precisely
4) slim down ofbiz and put not mandatory function in an option area
5) give a clear process to validate a contribution. Multiple status with
a clear definition for each.
6) give a plan with timelines to classify, on quality criteria, each
existing apache-ofbiz functions

7) add more functions // enhance quality of existing functions // move
function from one area to an other (kernel, optional function at hight
quality level, optional function on quality review process, ...)

so, first clarification : ofbiz-extra is a mean and not an end
second clarification : Apache-ofbiz must be for all hight quality ofbiz
piece, kernel or additionals functions.

To be very clear, In My Opinion, the main advantage for ofbiz-extra is ONLY
1) to be able to give a commit authorization for new contributor, to
motivate them to share their current realization
2) to have a unique place for contribution before being evaluate by the
community on quality review process.

If we want a hight level of quality, we should have process to be able
to remove a function from OFBiz-Kernel or "optionals functions",
BECAUSE all code on trunk should be evaluate with the same criteria,
existing from a long time is not a quality criteria. It's not because
something was with a hight quality level that it is always with it.

Last point, maybe quality was not considered as a priority by very many
or we'd see more people (committers and non-committer contributors)
working on it.
But I'm sure it is only related to the development phase where was OFBiz
- increase  number of function -
Now I'm sure many of us to be confident that the quality will enable us
to increase our business.