Hi Craig,

Yes sorry, I really want to install HTTPD with letsencrypt on our demo VM but
did not get a chance yet.

I can't confirm nor deny that this the preferred way of getting ofbiz up and running now. I never tried to install OFBiz following the way it's described there. This could be deprecated, I don't know, and have no time to check at the moment. I'm not even sure about who wrote this part of the documentation and when.

I just checked, it dates from 2009 and was initially contributed/committed by
Hans Bakker.
A part is here
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/ofbiz/trunk/applications/commonext/documents/ApacheOfbizTechnical.xml?r1=824216&r2=824215&pathrev=824216

Jacques